This week’s Spouse Date’s Tip and Reminder is simple:
Christmastime is one of the most romantic times of the year.
It can also be one of the busiest times of the year.
Do not let the holiday rush rob you of enjoying the romance all around you. Take time as a couple to revel in your love this season. Slow down and savor the romantic aspects of this holiday season together.
Here is some wise advice to help you slow down:
- Do less. It’s hard to slow down when you are trying to do a million things. Focus on what’s really important, what really needs to be done, and let go of the rest.
- Be present. It’s not enough to just slow down — you need to actually be mindful of whatever you’re doing at the moment. Focus on what’s going on right now.
- Disconnect. If you carry around an iPhone or Blackberry or other mobile device, shut it off or put it away. It’s hard to slow down when you’re always checking new messages coming in.
- Focus on people. Too often we spend time with people but our minds are on things we need to do. With a little conscious effort you can just be present with the people you’re with.
- Appreciate nature. Take the time to go outside and really observe nature, take a deep breath of fresh air. Try to do this daily — by yourself or with loved ones.
- Eat slower. Instead of cramming food down our throats as quickly as possible learn to eat slowly. Be mindful of each bite. Appreciate the flavors and textures.
- Drive slower. Appreciate your surroundings. Make it a peaceful time to contemplate your life, and the things you’re passing. Driving will be more enjoyable, and much safer. You’ll use less fuel too.
- Breathe. When you find yourself speeding up and stressing out, pause, and take a deep breath. Really feel the air coming into your body, and feel the stress going out.
“Wisely, and slow. They stumble that run fast.” ~ Shakespeare
Slow down, enjoy your spouse and drink deeply of the romance.
It is all around you.
What do you find most romantic about the holiday season?
Let us know in the comments below.
Also, if you found this helpful, be sure to sign up to receive our free Weekly Tip & Reminder. You can sign up in the upper right hand corner of this webpage.