Weekly Date Tip & Reminder
NOW is the time. What are you planning to do with your spouse?
December 5th is International Volunteer Day and what better way to celebrate than by sharing the love with a service date.
My wife and I became best friends while serving together. She recently reminded me of a volunteer date we had before we married. We were helping build a float for a parade. While were working on the float I cut something into a heart shape and gave it to her. That one little thing is what made it memorable to her as a date. Sometimes it is the simple things that touch the heart.
What types of things can you do for a service date?
The possibilities are endless. Here are a few places to get ideas:
- Check this list of 366 community service ideas.
- Use VolunteerMatch.
- Contact your local faith community for opportunities to serve.
“Come on, can volunteering REALLY be a date?”
Well, it all depends on how you approach it.
If you focus entirely on serving and give no attention to your spouse, then no, it is not a date. At the same time, it is not volunteering if you focus completely on your spouse and pay no attention to serving.
But you can do both at the same time. Volunteering CAN be a date.
A good volunteer date involves doing two essential things.
First, serve a cause that you both care about.
How to plan and serve so that it is actually a date
- Think about how you have volunteered in the past. How did that experience positively impact you and others? Talk about that with your spouse.
- Generate a list of opportunities/ideas and decide what you both would like to do.
- Set a date and plan ahead. Be sure to include some time immediately afterward to talk about your experience.
- Keep a good attitude. Stay safe. Expect the unexpected. Have fun!
- Debrief after with these questions:
What did you like?
Would you want to do it again?
How can continuing to serve enhance our relationship?
What have you and your spouse done for a service date in the past? What are you planning?
Tell us about your experience in the comments below.
Sign up to get our Free Date Tip & Reminder every Friday!